What makes us human are our emotions and the capability to feel. Some of us feel more deeply than others and sometimes it is considered a sign of being weak and immature. As a result, we feelers just stop expressing any emotion altogether, thus defying the very human nature of having “a heart”. What is needed is not suppression but a way to channelise all our emotions and feelings optimistically.
Sensitive people tend to understand the intensity of any emotion hence making them susceptible to hurt or any kind of overstimulation which generally won’t bother some of us. They usually have to come across the words like, “chill out” and “why do you need to overthink this?” “Why do you have to make such a big deal out of everything?”
Sensitive people are made to believe that they have to “act normal”. What does it mean to be normal anyway? Every individual is different but every individual is equal. There are no standards that you’re supposed to achieve just because it is what everyone does.
There’s nothing you can not achieve if you stop suppressing your emotions and just start being comfortable with them.
Some life-changing tips for highly sensitive people:
- Stop making yourself distant from everyone. Stop isolating. We all need a hand to hold, a shoulder to lean on. If we find even one person who makes us feel understood, it is more than validating and trust me, this matters more than you think it does.
- Just try to make healthy relationships and set healthy boundaries rather than ghosting everyone and running away in fear of being considered weak.
- Understand your own emotions first and validate them yourself too.
- You are not a fraud for feeling something no one else can. You are blessed with unique abilities, and one should take absolute pride in it. Be free, be yourself!
- The quality, the capability of feeling an emotion and being able to channelise it in a way that it takes you forward is probably the most powerful thing in the human world.
- When people don’t see it, it is a big deal for them! That’s just their normal way of perceiving things and there’s nothing functionally wrong with them.
If you feel vulnerable in certain phases of your life there are multiple coachings available for highly sensitive people. You can always take a guidance session with a life coach or a therapist to get through hard times.